Washington Dental Service Foundation periodically hosts workshops for training providers to teach the Oral Health for Caregivers program. The next training will be held in October 2014. Location to be determined.
Trained instructors can access the entire curriculum here.
Oral Health for Caregivers is a training curriculum that provides critical oral health information for those who care for older adults. With an emphasis on prevention, the program introduces oral health in an easy-to-understand format that can be used to educate caregivers. The curriculum is up-to-date and provides a high-quality Continuing Education learning opportunity. The training is offered free of charge for Washington Home Care Aides (serving Medicaid), Adult Family Home providers, and caregivers for developmentally disabled adults.
Key components of the in-person training of trainers include:
- Basic oral care and disease prevention strategies
- Understanding the impact of medications on oral health
- How diabetes and other chronic conditions are interrelated to oral health
- Tactics for working with special-needs and behaviorally-challenged clients
- Hands-on practice and demonstrations
- Training modifications to meet diverse participant needs